Sunday, May 23, 2010

Colorado

I'm a North Carolina native, a Tar Heel through and through. Heck, I was even born on the campus of the University of North Carolina, the nation's oldest university. No, I was not born during its first few years of existence.

Colorado has been home for a long, long time, ever since my family moved here when I was a kid. Today, I'm going to show you one very good reason why I love it here.

This, my friends, is this morning's sky. It's only about 3% of it, but it all looks just like this as of this moment.

We have days like this a lot here. The tourist attraction folks (I don't mean the strange-looking people at the circus--I'm talking about the PR folks selling Colorado as a destination for vacationing) claim we get 300 days of sun a year. I don't know how accurate that is, as my wife and I suspect that five seconds of sunlight during an otherwise gloomy day may qualify for the Board of Tourism's list of 300 days.

It hardly matters. We get lots of sun, regardless of how you tally it up.

For a frame of reference, here is a second picture with the tops of a couple of trees visible in the bottom of the frame.As one's eye approaches the horizon, the blue lightens. You can see it in this picture. If you look straight up, and the first photo was taken almost straight up, you see the deep, deep blue of the sky when you are a mile above sea level. That first mile of atmosphere which you look through in Chapel Hill but which we are above here makes a big difference.

In North Carolina, the sky is Carolina blue. I love Carolina blue. Here in Denver, today in particular, you can see Colorado blue. There aren't many places in the country where you can see a sky so deeply colored, so entrancingly inviting to the eye. You can get lost in that blue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea there were such colours as Carolina and Colorado Blue. I learned two new things today!

Rick Hamrick said...

Kelly, there is a real color, used commercially, named "Carolina Blue", and it is very specifically defined with the technical details one expects from an exact color. It is Pantone 278, for example. I have no clue what that means except that the Pantone system helps printers and manufacturers generate exact colors in their products.

Colorado blue is not so strictly defined. The difference is that Carolina blue is the color UNC chose hundreds of years ago. Colorado doesn't have any such affiliation, as CU is a gold-and-black school.

Be that as it may, I'm calling the clear sky above me Colorado blue. Maybe 100 years from now, it will have its own Pantone number!

Unknown said...

Beautiful color.